Monday, May 20, 2013

In Its Endlessness Life Abounds

A quick post this morning: I wanted to leave y'all with some beautiful, if poignant, thoughts from India's one of the most beloved poets of all times, the Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore. Written originally in Bangla (the vernacular of the people of Bengal), this composition of his deals with the pain and grief we experience many times over in our daily lives, and speaks of the continuity of life and the importance of positive thoughts. This translation to English was done by yours truly a while ago; I hope you like it.

There's sorrow, and there's death;
The separation causes pain profound.
Yet there's peace, there's joy,
In its endlessness life abounds.

Life's stream is an everlasting one.
Smile the moon, the stars and sun;
Spring follows winter every time around.

Waves rise and waves descend,
Flowers wilt and bloom again,
There's no fear, no pitifulness;
Of hardships there's nary a trace -
The mind seeks a place, in that completeness profound.
-- Rabindranath Tagore, original written in 1903; translated by moi.

I have been neglecting this blog lately, poor baby. Too many issues are arising that incite my apoplectic outrage, and I vent via Twitter and Facebook, in the process getting too exhausted, not to mention, distraught, to sit down and compose a post for this blog. I have also been reasonably active in writing for my professional blog as well as elsewhere. Anyway, no more of that. I hope to be able to resume writing as frequently as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment